Although many members of the royal family try to protect their privacy, this does not protect them from scandal. Indeed, the royal family is currently experiencing a few large ones at the same time. A royal expert says these scandals make ‘Megxit’ – Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s 2020 exit – a ‘walk in the park’.
What scandals has the royal family faced?
The biggest scandal concerns Prince Andrew and his allegations of sexual abuse. Andrew was related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and Andrew was accused of sexually abusing a woman named Virginia Giuffre when she was underage. Giuffre recently filed a civil lawsuit against Andrew, and the prince was stripped of his royal titles. Andrew reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Giuffre.
Meanwhile, Prince Charles’ charity The Prince’s Foundation has been accused of promising knighthood and British citizenship to a donor from Saudi Arabia. The Metropolitan Police have launched an investigation into the alleged cash for honours.
This year will also see the publication of Prince Harry’s memoir. Many sources believe Harry is estranged from some members of the royal family, which means the memoir could include stories that paint the royal family in a negative light.
Scandals make ‘Megxit’ look like ‘a walk in the park’, expert says
RELATED: Prince Charles was ‘shocked to the core’ after finding out something the Sussexes did, expert says
A panel of experts discussed these issues plaguing the Royal Family in a new episode of Mail Plus’ Confidential Palace.
“It must be total chaos behind the scenes,” host Jessica King said. “I mean, PR – the palace needs to be in overdrive.”
Journalist Charlotte Griffiths agreed, saying, “I know, it’s just one thing after another. And that makes Megxit a breeze, a walk in the park, doesn’t it? It’s just total turmoil for them.
Meanwhile, writer Guy Adams looked specifically at Charles’ scandal and shared that, thanks to other things, he doesn’t get as much media attention. “It’s not even the most important royal story of the week,” Adam said. “It’s the second.”
Queen Elizabeth tested positive for COVID-19
Another recent development concerns Queen Elizabeth’s health. On February 20, Buckingham Palace announced that Her Majesty, 95, had tested positive for COVID-19.
“Her Majesty is experiencing mild cold-like symptoms but expects to continue light duties at Windsor over the coming week,” the statement read. “She will continue to receive medical care and will follow all appropriate guidelines.”
It came after Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles both tested positive earlier this month. According to a source who spoke to CNN, COVID-19 has made its way into royal homes.
“A number of cases have been diagnosed in the Windsor Castle team,” the insider said.
Last year, Queen Elizabeth’s health made headlines. In October 2021, she made a short visit to the hospital, although details of her visit have not been made public. His doctors reportedly advised him to rest for a while and his trip to Northern Ireland was cancelled. Given Her Majesty’s age, it’s no surprise that she struggled with her health, and onlookers talked more about Charles eventually taking over the monarchy.
RELATED: Prince William & Prince Charles ‘Definitely Bonded’ Over Prince Harry Drama, Expert Says