Scandals

Queen’s jubilee year marred by scandals, her own bad choices

It’s mean-spirited to criticize a 95-year-old woman who served as a global symbol of duty, courage and stability for 70 years, but Elizabeth II is also a wealthy and powerful head of state, so criticism comes with the territory. , especially when she or members of the royal family have done things to undermine an institution she has dedicated her life to protecting.

This year is meant to be a year of celebrations for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, marking her 70 years on the throne, but in just the first few months of the year-long event, those celebrations have been hit with setbacks repeated health issues and controversies, according to Newsweek and other publications.

The Queen couldn’t help health issues, which include her and Prince Charles testing positive for COVID-19 in February, and her ongoing struggles with mobility.

The controversies are another matter, and they include her own decisions involving her disgraced son Prince Andrew and any role she played in approving the tone and purpose of Prince William’s beleaguered royal tour and Kate Middleton last month in Belize, Jamaica and the Bahamas.

Another controversy may be beyond his control: Prince Harry’s lawsuit against the UK government over its decision to withdraw police protection when he and his wife, Meghan Markle, moved to the US and stepped down from royal duties .

Due to this conflict over security, Harry said he did not feel safe bringing Meghan and their children to the UK. This means he and Meghan were notably absent from Prince Philip’s memorial service last week and are unlikely to make an appearance during any of the Jubilee celebrations in June, according to Newsweek.

Harry and Meghan’s absence from upcoming events could be the least of the royal family’s worries in the coming year. Here are the others:

Prince Andrew’s Many Problems

When it comes to Andrew’s controversies, the Queen has played a leading role. Last week, she drew criticism over her decision to ask her favorite son to accompany her in the lavish, globally televised memorial service for her late husband Prince Philip.

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, arrives to attend a service of thanksgiving for Britain’s Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, at Westminster Abbey in central London on March 29, 2022. (Photo by RICHARD POHLE / POOL / AFP) (Photo by RICHARD POHLE/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

It has been reported that Andrew manipulated his nearly 96-year-old mother into letting him accompany her to Westminster Abbey, but even though senior members of the Royal Family were understandably “uncomfortable At the idea of ​​Andrew playing such a pivotal role in the event, commentator Robert Jobson said the Queen had “insisted” on having Andrew by her side, People reported.

It was her way of showing the family that she is still in charge and that she “heartily loves and believes in her son,” Jobson said.

Until February, the Duke of York was involved in a sexual assault case brought by Virginia Giuffre, one of the alleged sex trafficking victims of Andrew’s former friend, convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew has repeatedly said he never met a 17-year-old Giuffre when he was traveling with Epstein in the early 2000s and never forced her to have sex with him.

In January, the Queen was praised for stripping Andrew of his military titles and patronage and telling him he could no longer be called Her Royal Highness, but after Andrew struck a deal with Giuffre, the news is came that she and Charles had paid the reported $16. million that Andrew needed to make the case go away, the Daily Beast and other outlets reported.

The money was said to be a loan, which Andrew somehow had to repay, The Daily Beast reported, but loan or gift, the idea of ​​the Queen and Charles helping to bail out Andrew did not sit well with many in the British public, especially after the Royal Family spent months insisting the Duke should handle the trial alone, the Daily Beast added.

Then came the Queen’s decision to arrive with him at Philip’s memorial service. The move left people around the Queen “sad” as Andrew’s presence overshadowed the service for Philip, People reported.

“People around the Queen are sad that everyone was talking about Prince Andrew and not Prince Philip,” a royal insider told People.

Andrew’s name emerged in another scandal last week linked to his notorious habit of getting involved in dodgy business deals. A Turkish millionaire has alleged in a UK court that she was tricked into making payments of nearly $1 million to Andrew at the request of a financial adviser, believing the payment would secure Andrew’s help for get him a new passport, according to People, citing a report in the Telegraph.

The millionaire’s court case has also drawn Andrew’s ex-wife Sarah Ferguson and her daughters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie into the scandal. The millionaire said she paid nearly $300,000 to Sarah and $32,000 to Eugenie. His bankers were further informed by the financial adviser that the payment to Andrew was intended as a ‘wedding gift’ for Princess Beatrice, who married Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi in July 2020. Andrew was ultimately forced to return the money the millionaire had given him – an expense he probably can’t afford.

Even with this new scandal, it is possible that the Queen’s show of loyalty to Andrew in Philip’s service encouraged the Duke to disobey her and use his HRH title. Over the weekend, he used the royal title while sharing a series of posts on Sarah’s Instagram account. In the photos, Andrew reminisced on the 40th anniversary of his departure to serve in the Falklands War with the Royal Navy, where he flew missions as a helicopter pilot, People reported.

Andrew said he entered the war “full of bravado” but returned “a changed man”. The reference to a “changed man” drew sneers on social media. Shortly after the post was posted, it was edited to remove the “HRH,” People reported. Shortly after, the posts were deleted entirely.

Andrew’s attempt to return to social media, days after playing such a pivotal role at his father’s memorial service, raises questions about whether he will try to play a similar role at other events in the world. jubilee this summer.

The aftermath of William and Kate’s troubled Caribbean tour

The debacle over Andrew’s attendance at the memorial service comes weeks after the poor optics and questionable ‘deaf’ messages that accompanied Prince William and Kate Middleton’s royal tour of Belize, Jamaica and the Bahamas.

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attend the inaugural commissioning parade for service personnel from across the Caribbean who have recently completed the Caribbean Military Academy Officer Training Program, at the Jamaica Defense Force on day six of the Royal Caribbean Platinum Jubilee Tour on March 24, 2022 in Kingston, Jamaica. (Photo by Paul Edwards – Pool/Getty Images)

The week-long tour was meant to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and strengthen ties between the British Monarchy and its Commonwealth nations, but while many people in those countries welcomed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the couple were also met with protests against Britain’s history of colonialism and slavery. In Jamaica, Prime Minister Andrew Holness was also candid in telling the couple of the country’s desire to “move on” and become fully independent.

The Cambridges have been criticized at various points during the tour for perpetuating “colonial” ideals, according to reports. One such moment came when they or someone advising them suggested they pay tribute to the Queen by recreating a moment from her 1953 visit to Jamaica with Prince Philip. For a military parade, William and Kate stood in the same open-top Land Rover that Elizabeth and Philip used for a parade 70 years earlier.

“These unfortunate images are a relic of the past and could have been taken in the 1800s,” Professor Rosalea Hamilton, civil rights activist and founding director of the Jamaica Institute of Law and Economics, told the Daily Mirror. . “They mean that this younger generation is carrying on the monarchical traditions of holding one race superior and another inferior.”

These unfortunate public relations mistakes throughout the tour have left commentators speculating that the royal tours will end in their current form, Newsweek reported.

Charles’ Charity Scandal

If those controversies weren’t enough for the year, Prince Charles, the next in line to the throne, is also pushing back one of his own. His charity, the Prince’s Foundation, is at the center of a police investigation following allegations that a Saudi business tycoon was offered help obtaining knighthood and British citizenship in exchange for donations charities, Newsweek reported.

Michael Fawcett, the organization’s chief executive and Charles’s longtime aide, has resigned over the scandal and the investigation is continuing. Charles maintained that he had no knowledge of the conduct under investigation.